At the March 28, 2019 meeting of the Tennessee Alcoholic Beverage Commission (“TABC”), a new Assistant Director was appointed and the public got a summary of what TABC enforcement agents have been focusing on over the last 30 days.
Assistant Director Tabitha Blackwell
The TABC appointed Ms. Tabitha Blackwell to its Assistant Director position during the Commission’s March 28, 2019 meeting. Ms. Blackwell has served as Assistant Director of the Charitable Solicitations Division of the Tennessee Secretary of State’s Office for the last 6 years. Ms. Blackwell handled the public job interview/questions she was presented with by the Commission during the meeting with competent, detailed responses and it was clear that she is very enthusiastic about her new position. We certainly look forward to working with her!
Recent TABC Law Enforcement Activity
TABC Chief Law Enforcement Officer Bond Tubbs provided some statistics during the Commission’s meeting which certainly illustrates how active the TABC agents are in the field.
Here is the quick and dirty data for the last 30 days:
- 621 inspections of license holders were conducted in Tennessee
- 104 administrative citations were issued (failure to renew licenses, failure to post licenses, etc.)
- 230 “minor compliance checks” were conducted (underage attempt to purchase stings)
- 63 licensees sold to a minor
- 60 misdemeanor citations were issued for sale to a minor
- 63 regulatory citations were issued for sale to a minor
- $126,000 in administrative fines was collected
- 180 gallons of liquor was seized for sale without a license
- On St. Patricks Day alone there were 128 underage sale operations and 30 sales to a minor
I write this to remind all license holders (distilleries, breweries, wineries, wholesaler/distributors, bars, restaurants) of the importance of not selling alcohol without a license in Tennessee, not selling to minors, and keeping all of your necessary licenses and registrations up to date and posted on you premises.
If you do find yourself in the unfortunate circumstance of being the subject of a sting operation and issued a citation, please do not hesitate to give me a call to discuss your options.
Last modified: March 30, 2019