Curtis is a founding partner of Belcher Sykes Harrington, PLLC and his practice is primarily focused on assisting alcoholic beverage/hospitality and cannabis industry members both inside and outside of Tennessee.
Curtis has vast experience representing alcohol industry members of all types, shapes and sizes. His clients range from manufacturers of all types of alcoholic beverages, to dedicated wholesaler/distributors and all manner of alcoholic beverage retailers. Clients include breweries, wineries, distilleries, alcohol brand owners and investors, wholesaler/distributors, importers, and retailers of all shapes and sizes such as music festivals and venues, stadiums, airport facilities, trade associations, hotels, bars, restaurants, grocery stores, food trucks, caterers, and retail liquor stores.
In the cannabis space, Curtis has experience assisting growers, brand owners, processors, carriers, and retailers with their needs.
Prior to tailoring his practice over ten years ago to the areas of alcoholic beverage/hospitality and cannabis, Curtis was a litigation attorney focusing on the areas of bankruptcy/debt restructuring, business litigation and personal injury. Curtis also has experience advising clients in areas of entertainment/music law such as copyright registration, infringement and recapturing, trademark registration applications and related disputes, licensing, and the negotiation of recording agreements, media appearance agreements, management agreements, and publishing deals.
Curtis prides himself in his ability to take a calculated, cost-based approach to every matter, large or small. Whether opening or winding-up a business, protecting assets against future unknowns, or obtaining maximum recovery for an individual or business involved in a dispute, Curtis keeps the client’s objectives and resources in mind while leveraging the firm’s resources for the client’s advantage.
Curtis and his family moved to Nashville from New Orleans in 2008 and are happy to call Nashville home. Curtis enjoys spending time in the outdoors with his family, where they can often be found at one of Tennessee’s beautiful state park campgrounds, or enjoying the many miles of Southeast area mountain biking and hiking trails.
Curtis frequently presents and produces industry seminars and continuing legal education classes, past involvement includes:
- Kentucky Bourbon Trail CLE Experience (2018 and 2019)
- 2017 Hemp Industry Week “Local Hemp Chatt” Conference, Contributor
- A Shot of CLE: Alcohol and the Law, Nashville Bar Association (2016)
- Protecting Breweries & Alcohol-Related Brands, Nashville Bar Association (2016)
- Trial Practice – Discovery Disputes, Nashville Bar Association (2015)
- Religion and the Courts, Presenter
- Sound Exchange v. XM Radio: The Future of Digital Royalties, 2012 IBMA Music Conference, Presenter
- Bankruptcy: Chapter 7 Issues, Presenter
- Principles of Negotiation and Alternative Dispute Resolution, Producer and Moderator
- Bankruptcy and Divorce: Can I Divorce My Debts As Well As My Spouse? Producer and Moderator
- State Court Practice and the Rules of Civil Procedure, Producer
- “Write Off the Row” Songwriter Education Series, Presenter